A lot of people are gearing up for summer BBQ's and holidays, so it's a good time to socialize with the friends you have, or invite a few new friends over. I found some news items this week that are perfect for making small talk.
- Happy Birthday, Paul McCartney! The former Beatle turned 70 today. There isn't a person around who doesn't have something to say about: the British Invasion, the Beatles, 60s music, or rockers getting older. This makes a good topic to bring up just about anywhere, even the places when you're standing in line and need to make some chit chat with the folks around you.
- I don't normally love TV remakes, but I have to say I'm loving this reboot that NBC is doing of The Munsters. It's called Munsters of Mockingbird Lane, and some of the new cast members are just perfect. I love the idea of Eddie Izzard as Grandpa Munster. This is a good subject to bring up with TV lovers and midlifers who watched the original show.
- So sad to find out about the death of Rodney King. Many people remember the L.A. riots and King's famous line, "Can't we all just get along?" This is a good subject to talk about with friends and honor King's memory.
- Sometimes odd information is the perfect type for small talk. That's because when you don't know what to say to someone (like a new friend or even acquaintance), an odd subject can kick-start a conversation. This information about 10 products with hidden powers is the perfect thing.
- People with health issues often find that others don't want to discuss it with them. This is especially true for those with chronic conditions. You can be a real friend to someone by just listening to them and letting them tell you about the issues they're dealing with. To that end, news hit this week that Ozzie Oscourne's son Jack Osbourne has MS. This is a good time to find out more about the disease so you can talk about it with a friend if the occasion arises.
Image: Jamie Grill/Getty Images