Definition: Friend was only known as a noun until late in 2010 when the Oxford English Dictionary included it as a verb. To "friend" means to add someone to your list of acquaintances on a social networking site, such as Facebook or Twitter. You do not need to know someone personally in order to friend him or her.
The Opposite of Friend: Unfriend
More on Facebook and Friendship:
- Poll: Has Facebook Changed Your Friendships?
- How to Be a Good Facebook Friend
- Why Facebook Can Make You Happier or Sadder
- You've Been Blocked - Now What?
- People You Shouldn't Friend
Also Known As: to friend, friending, add as a friend
Examples: "I just found out Jack is on Facebook. I'm going to friend him."
"My coworkers keep friending me, but I don't know if I should allow their requests to go through."